Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Transitions

By way of transition we had serendipitily (not a real word) found ourselves in the snow night before last. It was cold but a perfect last night on the road. I woke this morning from a bad dream: I was packing to go to Fairbanks but in the dream it was to go to China and my friends were already at the airport in Carmel...... I won't bore you with the long version. Clearly I am anxious about leaving again.


Yesterday when we arrived at home, our neighbors and friends greeted us. It was quite surreal to see the full fall colors as we left in the summer of September. Our yard was different, yet the same. The glads we planted were blooming and that damn Bermuda grass that I had carefully dug out ot that bed is back. Grrrrr.


As I entered the house there was our "stuff" but also Brian and Marlena's as they are in transition, too. The house looked beautiful; they had taken such good care of it. The same but different.


Our friend and contractor Park stopped by on his way to talk with one of our neighbors. He is sporting a beard and Connor, his son, has grown an inch or two. We call Park our husband (with his real wife's full knowledge) as he spent so much time with us during the kitchen remodel a couple of years ago. It was good to see our husband again. We laughed and told a couple of inappropriate jokes just out of the hearing of Connor- who laughed and said "I didn't hear a thing!"


Going to bed was so wonderful. And so strange. A cat in the bed instead of Anna. 


Renee is checking Fairbanks weather (a warming trend it is zero not -24) and the Aurora Borealis prediction for today (a quiet period).  I am on my way to buy a small turkey so we can eat our Thanksgiving dinner as sandwiches on the plane.


So we are home but not quite home...it is the same yet different. 


In transition.....Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment