Sunday, November 6, 2011

A mixed harvest

Thanks to our dear friend Rhonda who commented on my uneasiness with the Happy Harvest photo. And yes, Rhonda I did know that there would be no disrespect for anyone at your home which is a home filled with love!




I did seek out some opinions of a couple of women at our campground office the next night. And I got just what I was looking for: context and a bit more information. Turns out that they said, "No it doesn't offend me, but it might some." Because the use of the cast iron to make the figures raises a possibility that the maker was referencing a slur used to describe African Americans. That word is skillet...one I have never heard...because as she said, we are... dark like the iron skillets. 


With a raised eyebrow after seeing the photos one went on to say that it is really very hard to tell what to feel about this tableau unless one lives in the community and knows it.  


Again, I learn from others not to generalize and listen carefully to the stories I am told.

No comments:

Post a Comment