Tuesday, December 13, 2011

75 degrees of separation

The morning we left Fairbanks it was -20 degrees.  
On our arrival in San Jose, it was 55 degrees above zero.  
We were once again back in autumn, back in our lovely San Jose life.
It's quite different. 
 No more blown tires, fire ants, hair dryer heater systems, bald eagles, far fewer Norwegians and Inuits.  The "Land O' Lakes" is only the butter in the dish on the kitchen counter.
No $2.89 gasoline.
.  No sand burrs, wild ponies, piney woods, pictographs, pronghorns, or  jack rabbits.
I only need to wear one layer of polypro under my exercise clothes, and only thin gloves, not those beaver mittens I wore while mushing the dogs.  The bathroom's indoors.  
It's an interesting transition.

But I've been baking.
The bowl is from North Carolina.
The sourdough starter from Alaska.
The stone ground corn meal from the Cullen Baker Country Fair in Cass County, TX
And the cast iron pan is from the estate sale of Dorothy Moreno, my first supervisor at O'Connor.  She was an  'old school' Italian Catholic  no nonsense kind of RN.  I love using her pan.




And I must say, the sourdough cornbread was quite good!




As were the sourdough pancakes!  The maple syrup is from Stowe, Vermont.


And the sourdough oatmeal muffins!  Delicious, as evidenced by half of them being eaten fairly quickly.  After all, the oatmeal makes them healthy, right?

It's possible I've baked more in two weeks than in two years.
No, probable.

The sourdough still bubbles away, waiting for the next recipe.




Along with the baking, we're doing furniture restoring:  
an old table that belonged to Art's mother Pat, and now belongs to Bryan and Marlena.
  Some 0000 steel wool and Restore-A-Finish







and some old-fashioned elbow grease


and it's quite lovely again!



Then there's the lovely Leslie baking her mom's Christmas cookies, with smiling Santa faces


 It's a huge project!





Still in process.



And quilting for the Linus project going on...............


No problem keeping busy.


And I leave you tonight with this photo of sweet innocent George.  Just look at that face, and the fetching way he has as he relaxes.........He has no problem relaxing.



and says, 
"Who me?  
I don't know what you're talking about. 
 I have no idea who ate all that cat food from the new bag. 
 It must have been Anna.  That's it.  It was Anna. 
 I was framed!"






Life is good, eh?


RJ




No comments:

Post a Comment